• RPHS students return to school after alleged bomb threat at 11:20 Friday morning.

The Compass - The student news site of North Clackamas School District

The Compass

Filed under News, Top Stories

NCSD response to DACA

The University of California sued the Trump administration on Friday over its decision to end DACA -- setting up a court clash between the former secretary who helped create the program and the President who declared its demise.

North Clackamas Schools Superintendent Matt Utterback on Thursday notified parents and staff regarding district policies on DACA.  The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program has protected nearly 800,000 young undocumented immigrants from deportation and gave them the ability to work and study in the US. The letter sent is shared in its entirety.

Dear Members of the North Clackamas Community,

Recently, our federal government took action to potentially change the legal status of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). For our students and families impacted by this recent announcement, it will undoubtedly raise questions and concerns about their future in our community.

In a variety of forums, I have spoken on the importance of each child in our district feeling safe, nurtured, and loved. It is this fundamental belief that informs North Clackamas Schools’ response to the potential changes to DACA. You have our commitment to protect students; we will interrupt discriminatory acts in our schools.  To that end, we expect each staff member, family, student, and community member to stand for respect in our schools and to create safe places where each child can reach their full potential.  

Schools in North Clackamas remain a place where each student and family is welcomed and their identities affirmed regardless of immigration status. This stance is consistent with the Equity Policy adopted by the Board of Directors in April 2015. Furthermore, this perspective reflects our belief that students thrive in environments where educators advocate for and love them for their unique talents and contributions.

North Clackamas’ mission is unwavering as we prepare graduates who are inspired and empowered to strengthen the quality of life in our local and global communities.

Sincerely,

Matt Utterback

Superintendent