• Welcome to The Compass

541 Cavaliers move on

Jesse Waian, Copy Editor
June 12, 2013
Filed under Archives

The high school journey came to an end June 8, as 541 Clackamas Cavaliers gathered at the Chiles Center to received their diplomas and celebrate the end of their time at CHS. For some, Sat. marked the end of a lot of memories. “I thought I would be really thrilled to be done with high school,... Read More »

Pride Week comes to CHS

Pride Week comes to CHS

Jesse Waian, Copy Editor
April 17, 2013
Filed under Top Stories

In honor of those who have been affected by anti-gay bullying, CHS’s Gay-Straight Alliance Club will be hosting Pride week – a weeklong event held between April 15-19, dedicated to the promotion of equality and the acceptance of LGBTQQ members in our society. Pride Week is nationally... Read More »

Unity Idol captivates CHS once again

Jesse Waian, Copy/Managing Editor
March 21, 2013
Filed under CHS Stories, News

Once again, Unity Idol took center stage at CHS on March 8 as three finalists competed for the prize of a gift card and the honor of being the 2013 Unity Idol. Being the main event of Diversity week at CHS, Unity Idol took many hours of preparation from both the competitors and the leadership classes... Read More »

Winter fun comes alive in Portland

Jesse Waian, Copy/Managing Editor
February 19, 2013
Filed under CHS Stories, Features, MHS Stories, Op/Ed, RPHS Stories

Oregon living has its tolls; residents see about three months of sun in the summer and spend the rest of the year – all nine months – locked up inside resenting the harsh rain and snow. What most people don’t know however, is that Oregon has a natural abundance of winter/spring... Read More »

Coping with grief of everyday happenings

Jesse Waian, Copy/Managing Editor
January 25, 2013

Suffering is hard. Everyday, around the world, lives are lost and people are impacted with tragedies plaguing human life which comes with the cost of living. Members of the NCSD community are no different, we all suffer losses in our lives, and we all handle our grief in different ways. Dealing... Read More »

CHS Community gathers for Jake Arnston Memorial

Jesse Waian, Copy Editor/Managing Editor
January 9, 2013
Filed under CHS Stories, News

The Clackamas community came together in the CHS gymnasium Sunday, Jan 6, to mourn the loss of a CHS baseball coach’s son, Jake Arntson. Jake was 7 years old when he passed and was the son of a long time CHS coach and World History teacher John Arntson. Roughly 2,300 mourning individuals attended... Read More »

CHS hosts 15th annual Winter Rage event

CHS hosts 15th annual Winter Rage event

Jesse Waian and Blake Thomason
December 19, 2012
Filed under Archives

On Dec. 15th CHS hosted their 15th annual Winter Rage. Over 550 CHS student and staff volunteers turned out bright and early for the event to set up tables, and help guide families. The day of "Winter Rage is very stressful because there is a lot to do in a little amount... Read More »

Alternative places to find those special holiday gifts

December 11, 2012
Filed under Archives

The holiday season is a time of merriment and cheer for both the young and the old. It is a time of giving back and sharing gifts with the ones that are dear to you. However it can also be a time of great stress and panic as the pickings of the local department stores grow slimmer and slimmer with each... Read More »

Holiday tradition of giving continues at CHS’ Winter Rage

December 9, 2012
Filed under Archives

The holiday season is upon NCSD, and with the season of giving comes the season of fundraising, an idea which CHS is very familiar. CHS celebrates the holidays with their annual day of giving, Winter Rage. Winter Rage is an event, held Dec. 15 at CHS, where families from the area who need extra... Read More »

Happenin’ Halloween Hangouts

October 30, 2012
Filed under Archives, CHS Stories, Entertainment, MHS Stories, RPHS Stories, SSC Stories, Uncategorized

Halloween season is here, and as children deck out in frightful attire for a haunted night of fun, Portland also ‘dresses up’ to celebrate local Halloween traditions. Fright Town — a series of haunted houses beneath the Memorial Coliseum... Read More »

NCSD one step closer to being green

NCSD one step closer to being green

October 26, 2012
Filed under Archives, CHS Stories, Features, MHS Stories, RPHS Stories, Top Stories

CHS was once again certified as a green school, after their initial inauguration in 2003, after completing a waste audit on Sept. 26, granting NCSD with a total of eight green schools district wide. The certified green schools in NCSD are as follows; Happy Valley ES, Oregon Trail ES, Concord ES, Happy... Read More »

Teen voters: the polls are dropping

Teen voters: the polls are dropping

Jesse Waian, Copy Editor
October 4, 2012
Filed under CHS Stories, Features, Uncategorized

In 2007, Oregon passed a law allowing teens the age of 17 to register to vote. According to the Young Democrats of America, the election year of 2008 only brought in 51percent of voting adults ages 18-29, and while that is more than half of the eligible contenders, the percentage has a long... Read More »

Summer employment at an all time low

Jesse Waian, Copy Editor
June 7, 2012
Filed under Archives, CHS Stories, Features, MHS Stories, RPHS Stories

Summer’s coming and that means: time to start looking for a summer job. Local high school students have been rigorously competing for jobs all year long, and most are left empty handed and out of luck. However, with summer just around the corner, more new and exciting opportunities are arising that... Read More »

DJ’s music choice adds irony to pre-prom assembly

Jesse Waian, Copy Editor
May 24, 2012
Filed under Archives, CHS Stories, Op/Ed, Proms

Opinion May 4 was an eventful day for CHS, as it held its car crash drunk driving awareness assembly. This impactful assembly is held once every three years. This assembly, the most important part of the day, was the drunk driving awareness assembly. It took place during second period, allowing... Read More »

Clackamas Lights Fire With ‘Dynamite’

Clackamas Lights Fire With ‘Dynamite’

Jesse Waian, Copy Editor
May 10, 2012
Filed under Archives, CHS Stories, Features, Top Stories

The CHS drama department was geared up for their spring play, “Dynamite Comes In Small Packages”; a compilation of short one act plays that opened on April 26 in the Clackamas Black Box theater. Tickets were $5 for students and were sold at the West Campus bookkeeper. Five plays were be featured... Read More »

A food handlers card is not hard

A food handlers card is not hard

Jesse Waian, Copy Editor
April 16, 2012
Filed under Archives, Op/Ed, SSC Stories

Opinion The Oregon Food Handlers Card is becoming the new addition to many teenagers’ wallets as more and more high schoolers are getting jobs. What some people may not know is policies and regulations at any workplace containing food can restrict anyone from working there until they have... Read More »

Diversity Week celebrates differences

Jesse Waian, Copy Editor
March 2, 2012
Filed under Archives

The North Clackamas district experienced some diversity on Feb. 10 as CHS kicked off its second annual Diversity week with the Unity Idol competition, while MHS held an assembly celebrating its school’s diversity. The CHS diversity week was held the week of Feb. 13. The important date for CHS was... Read More »

Diversity Idol captivates audience

Diversity Idol captivates audience

Jesse Waian, Copy Editor
February 10, 2012
Filed under Archives

Victoria Mulyar, sophomore, won the second annual CHS Diversity Idol during a Feb. 10 assembly kicking off a month of activities. A cultural fair will take place on Feb. 14.

Winter Rage dress up days: bang or bust?

Jesse Waian and Joelene Carroll
January 23, 2012
Filed under Archives

Monday, December 5th - Ugly Sweater Day Winter Rage week kicked off on Monday Dec. 5, as the students of CHS pulled out the frumpiest Christmas sweaters around and wore them proudly around the halls. Students of all grade levels and social backgrounds participated... Read More »