• Welcome to The Compass

Clackamas’ ‘Bye Bye Birdie’ leaves audiences squealing “we love you, Conrad!”

Maddie Oberg , Copy Editor

Clackamas High School’s musical “Bye Bye Birdie” transported audiences back to the simpler time of 1958. Upbeat music and lively dance numbers encouraged every performer and audience member to “put on a happy face.”

This year, CHS moved their musical from the springtime to the fall. However, this was not the only major change. Kate Massinger, Dorris McAffee, called “Bye Bye Birdie” “lighter and brighter” than the “dark and serious” musicals produced in 2010 and 2011: “Les Miserables” and “Sweeny Todd.”

Enthusiastic about the theme change, Onalee Durkoop, chorus member, said “the upbeat feel of the show contributed to how the cast and audiences felt. Overall, you just felt good when you were there.”

Audience members also embraced the change. Although “Bye Bye Birdie” was “opposite in theme from last year’s show, both were fantastic in different ways.” Judy Kang, junior, said. She complimented the “awesome cast and great musical.”

Although audiences were impressed, none of the seven showings were completely sold out. This was not a significant change from Sweeney Todd in the spring of 2011, which did not sell out either. Massinger said she did not think changing the show’s season effected ticket sales.

Comments

Inappropriate comments will be removed by the editorial staff.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

You must be logged in to post a comment.