• Welcome to The Compass

Cavaliers look ahead at season

Megan Westby, Copy Editor

Clackamas High School’s varsity winter sports –basketball, wrestling and swimming- all kicked the season off with wins.

Girl’s varsity basketball beat Hermiston 63-50 on Dec. 6and followed it up with another win against Lincoln on Dec. 7 with a 59-50 score.

“We’re going to give people a run for their money,” Malia Oswalt, senior, said

According to Oswalt, the big goal for basketball this year is “not to let people come into our house and win.” The girls are on the court six days a week for either games or practices to meet this goal.

Girl’s basketball was notable last year for a variety of reasons. They took first in league. Jen Reese, class of 2011, won Gatorade Player of the Year for the second year in a row. The team played a close game with Jesuit for the State Championship, with an end score of 42-39 in Jesuit’s favor.

“It’s hard to beat” last year Oswalt said. “We’re not going to let this be a recouping year. We’re aiming high.” The girl’s current record is 3-0 and their next game is Dec. 13 at Centennial High.

Boy’s basketball won their first game against Madison as well on Dec. 6, 63-49. Their current record is 2-2, and the next game is Dec. 13 at Franklin High.

Swimming looks forward to a season full of “new swimmers” and “excelling,” according to Christian McKinney, boy’s captain.

“The team’s huge this year,” McKinney said. “I think we’re going to do really well.”

Swimming was reduced from school-sponsored to club status this year, along with cheerleading and cross-country. The reduction was due to budget constrictions. This didn’t affect enrollment though; there are 80 swimmers this year, many of them underclassman.

For these new swimmers, the goal is learning strokes. For the experienced, it’s excelling and building unity.

Swimmers aren’t the only ones new to the team, a new head coach, Dave Kraff, joined. Kraff is from the North Clackamas Aquatic Center, where the team practices and competes at home.

“Practices go pretty well,” McKinney said. He encouraged fans to watch for Shanelle Cayetaro from Portland Christian High. Cayetaro is Clackamas’ senior girls captain and made state last year.

The season started well, with a win against Oregon City on Dec. 8.

Wrestling has yet to have a league meet. They had quaduals on Dec. 1, where wrestlers competed against three other schools. Clackamas won all their matches. Ryan Musser, senior, said this year would “definitely” be better than before.

“I really take our quote to heart, ‘Wrestler’s don’t get even, they one up,’” Musser said.

Comments

Inappropriate comments will be removed by the editorial staff.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

You must be logged in to post a comment.